This is an exploration of Blair's character.  One of many that character explorations I'm going to try to do.  One thing, though, I just want everybody to know that I really do like Naomi.  If I was unfair, well, it's just a story.  I wish she was my mummy.  :)

Sorry about the graphics, but I was having fun finding websets and stuff.

Disclaimer:  They're not mine.  The chance that they ever will be is very, very low.  However, if I do ever own them, I'll share.

Spoilers:  Spare Parts.  I shamelessly take a part of the dialogue.  Because I can.

Rated:  PG.  For one bad word and some gratuitous smarm.


Moving On No Longer

by ShrinkingViolet


"Mom..."  Blair knew he was whining but didn't care.  What eight year old does?  "Why do we have to leave so soon?"

"Blair, sweetie, look at your eye!  Look at what those bullies did to you!"  Naomi Sandburg exclaimed as she filled a towel with ice.  She handed it to her son and he held it against his blackened eye.

"But Mom, I just got them to like me..."

"They hit you, Blair!"

"We were just fooling around."  Blair pouted.

"Fooling around!  After everything I taught you about non-violence...  Pack your bags, sweetie.  We're moving on."

Blair stamped his foot.  "I don't want to!  I like it here!  I have friends, Naomi!"

"Blair, sweetie, you don't belong with them.  Your so much smaller, and they're so rough...  Your not cut out to be hanging around those boys!"


"Oh, sweetie, I'm sorry, but you're not cut out for this kind of work."  Naomi said, twenty years later.

"Mom..."  Blair looked hurt but she had to tell him, to protect him.

"Well, technically, that's not entirely true."  Interrupted Captain Banks, looking like it pained him.  "I've gotten to know Blair over the past few months and though we don't always see eye to see, his enthusiasm is kind of, uh, refreshing. And I trust him. Whether he decides to stay or go, I back him up 100 percent."

"So what's it gonna be?"  Naomi asked.  Blair just looked at her.

"I choose to stay, Naomi."  He answered.  Naomi nodded.

"Mmmm, I hear that."  She said.

"Do you?"

"Mmm-hmm."

And she walked away, alone.


"She always does that, man.  Since I was growing up."  Blair said once he and Jim had reached Jim's truck.

"Does what, Chief?"  Jim asked as they pulled out of the garage.

"When I was growing up, I was just this hippie kid, too small and too smart.  I didn't make friends very easily, but when I did... It was always 'They're too big', 'they're to rough', 'you might get hurt', 'you're not cut out for them, Blair'....  And then we'd move on."

"I'm sorry, Sandburg."

"Yeah, me too, Jim.  It was like, none of the places we stayed at were 'home'...  Just somewhere to stay until we moved on.  The Loft, and Rainier, they're the only places I felt I belonged.  That felt like home."  Blair said, and rubbed his eyes.  "I'm sorry, man.  You probably don't want to hear this."

Jim pulled off to the side of the road and unbuckled his seat belt.  He put his hand on Blair's shoulders and gently turned the other man to face him.

"Chief?"  He said seriously.

"Hmmm?"

"If it's important to you, I want to hear it.  Got that, Chief?"

Blair smiled.  "Got it.  Thanks, Jim."

"I'm not done yet.  The loft is your home, Blair, as long as you want it to be.  Nobody's ever going to make you leave."

Blair gave Jim a stunned, happy smile.  "Thanks, Jim."  He said simply.

"Ahhh, what the hell."  Jim sighed, and pulled Blair in for a hug.  He could feel Blair smile against his shoulder.

"What, Sandburg?"

"If only the gossip mill could see us now."


THE END


Feed a feedback-hungry writer:
shrinkingviolet@usa.net